Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Awesome Music Video Wednesday...last one!


So here is the last Awesome Music Video Wednesday...EVER! At least until I get my blog set up independently. Thursday's my last day-you know your going to miss me. Just type in my name in Google in a few weeks, you'll find me again.

I leave you with one of my favorite musicians. Here we have London born Sri Lankan rapper M.I.A. (Maya Arulpragasam) as she dips in her South Asian roots in her new video, "Jimmy".

If you've heard M.I.A, you know what her typical sound is: Loud, booming electronica spliced with conga drums; a little bit of grime, dance hall and a lot of Baile funk.

Her debut album, Arular, received wild critical acclaim, was listed as the second best album of the year 2005 on Amazon.com and also named GQ Magazine's list of the "100 Coolest Albums Ever Released".

Arular has a revolutionary feel, inspired by her shaky past in Sri Lanka, the album deals with topics of war and poverty. The title of her album is in reference to her father Arul Pragasam, a member of the militant Tamil Tigers group in the Sri Lankan Civil War.

With her long dark hair and colorful animal print tracksuits and hoodies, she dances in hypercolor backgrounds smeared with her spray paint art . Her current style has entered the nu rave world with Cassette Playa as her personal designer: loud fluorescent colors, metallic body suits, gold chains and screaming cartoon couture.-I love it!

But don't under estimate this South Asian pretty face-M.I.A has been through more than most musicians.
She lived in Sri Lanka during the civil war in 2001 surviving through fear of rape and death.
Read her amazing story at RollingStone.

"Jimmy" is much different from her tribal sound. The song is a cover of "Jimmy Jimmy Aaja" from Disco Dancer, a 1982 Bollywood film. Watch the original here! Check out Jimmy's face, he looks like he's in need of some Imodium.

And just for the hell of it, here's another new single from Kala, Boyz. F-ing amazing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home