Wednesday, July 11, 2007

TWO, TWO, TWO Awesome Music Video Wednesdays in one

The Vino Italian Restarunt and Lounge is a wild and ravenous hot spot at 2 am. Dozens of sweaty and inebriated bodies rub together under a manic strobe light to New Wave and other 80s songs. Often when I'm there I do wonder how much more general 80s songs I can take. I love the 80s, but who can really groove to "I Love Rock and Roll" and "Pour some sugar on me" five times during the night?? I can't ever-but very seldom do they play a song that is perfect at 12:30 am on a Friday night with your best friends and dancing like a bumped-out Mick Jagger.

Two of the best songs they play is The Cure's 'Close to me' and Tom Tom Club's 'Genies of Love'. Now they don't play them very often, if at all. And even when you rush up to the DJ booth and wail out your favorite song for them to play, chances are you'll hear it after you leave. But you gotta give it to the DJs, they have hundreds of drunks who want to hear their favorite song right away-a DJ's job is never done

'Close to me' is my absolute, hands down, favorite Cure song, The song is upbeat and playful with an addictive and bouncy baseline. It's one of the happier tunes given by The Cure, most of them a little darker, the goth side of 80s pop.

The song sounds to be about waiting for a loved one to return after being gone for a while. While waiting their return, Smith is sick with anticipation, wanting to sleep days away to get closer to the day that person comes back. But that's just my opinion. The lyrics are exhilarating and an uncomfortable reminder of what anxiously waiting is like. As Tom Petty puts it, "The waiting is the hardest part."

The video is a little strange; the group members rolling around in a tiny, tumbling house crowded by tight interior and water continuously filling up. You won't hear it too often at Vino's so make sure to request it-go ahead, do it!



This song is a fantastic one-hit piece of danceable perfection. Tom Tom Club's 'Genius of Love' was their only hit but totally one of the best dance songs to come out of the 1980s. Talking Heads members Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz branched off to make the Tom Tom Club, a funk inspired pop turn from their predeceasing band.

Like a Rasta song with a little faster tempo and entrancing female voices, the tropical feel is more than refreshing. You can't listen to it in a bad mood- or else it will change the mood for you. And the baseline? Ah, you'll notice I have an obsession with funky baselines, maybe it's the black in me but I think it's the perfect ingredient to a song.

The video is unforgettable-it's colorful, off the wall cartoons sparkle up the screen and bounce to the beat. It reminds me of teenager girly doodling: a million hearts, rainbows, spiral designs, kissing fish and dancing dogs. It brings you back to a less industrious time, when the worst worry in your life was if you and your best friend were crushing on the same guy.



Buy The Cure's Greatest Hits or 'Head on the Door' at Amazon.com
Buy Tom Tom Club at amazon.com as well!

And hey, I love Vinos regardless of what they play, 'Girls just wanna have fun' sung by a hundred trashed women at 2 am isn't better anywhere else.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger John Armour said...

I have been trying to figure out what that Tom Tom Club song was for sooooo long THANK YOU. I knew it had a cartoon music video and I put a few words nto google and BAM, your blog came up! Thank you so much!!!


http://www.johnisawesome.com

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home